Heat waves impair cytoplasmic maturation of oocytes and preimplantation development in Korean native cattle (Hanwoo)
Soo Jin Sa1 Jiyeon Jeong2 Jaesung Cho2 Seung-Hwan Lee2 Inchul Choi2,*
National Institute of Animal Science, Rural Development Administration, Wanju 55365, Korea1 Division of Animal and Dairy Sciences, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Chungnam University, Daejeon 34134, Korea2
1. Cho J, Do C, Choi I. 2016. Reproductive performance of Korean native cattle (Hanwoo) focusing on calving interval and parity. Journal Embryo Transfer 31:273-279.
2. Choi I, Cho J. 2016. Reproduction and marketing plans for improving profitability of Korean native cattle (Hanwoo) farm. Journal Embryo Transfer 31:267-272.
3. Chung YS, Yoon MB, Kim HS. 2004. On climate variations and changes observed in South Korea. Climatic Change 66:151-161.
4. Kelly RDW, Alberio R, Campbell KHS. 2010. A-type lamin dynamics in bovine somatic cell nuclear transfer embryos. Reproduction, Fertility and Development 22:956-965.
5. Lee DK. 2015. Korean climate change assessment report 2014. National Institute of Environmental Research, Incheon, Korea.
6. Lee SH, Park BH, Sharma A, Dang CG, Lee SS, Choi TJ. 2014. Hanwoo cattle: Origin, domestication, breeding strategies and genomic selection. Journal of Animal Science and Technology 56:2.
7. Makina SO, Muchadeyi FC, van Marle-Köster E, MacNeil MD, Maiwashe A. 2014. Genetic diversity and population structure among six cattle breeds in South Africa using a whole genome SNP panel. Frontiers in genetics 5:333.
8. Paes VM, Vieira LA, Correia HHV, Sa NAR, Moura AAA, Sales AD, Rodrigues APR, Magalhães-Padilha DM, Santos FW, Apgar GA, Campello CC, Camargo LSA, Figueriedo JR. 2016. Effect of heat stress on the survival and development of in vitro cultured bovine preantral follicles and on in vitro maturation of cumulus–oocyte complex. Theriogenology 86:994-1003.
9. Paula-Lopes FF, Lima RS, Satrapa RA, Barros CM. 2013. Physiology and endocrinology symposium: Influence of cattle genotype (Bos indicus vs. Bos taurus) on oocyte and preimplantation embryo resistance to increased temperature. Journal of Animal Science 91:1143-1153.
10. Rojas-Downing MM, Nejadhashemi AP, Harrigan T, Woznicki SA. 2017. Climate change and livestock: Impacts, adaptation, and mitigation. Climate Risk Management 16:145-163.
11. Roth Z. 2015. Physiology and endocrinology symposium: Cellular and molecular mechanisms of heat stress related to bovine ovarian function. Journal of Animal Science 93:2034-2044.
12. Roth Z, Aroyo A, Yavin S, Arav A. 2008. The antioxidant epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) moderates the deleterious effects of maternal hyperthermia on follicle-enclosed oocytes in mice. Theriogenology 70:887-897.
13. Sharma A, Lee SH, Lim D, Chai HH, Choi BH, Cho Y. 2016. A genome-wide assessment of genetic diversity and population structure of Korean native cattle breeds. BMC Genetics 17:139.
14. Shim C, Seo J, Han J, Ha J, Ro TH, Hwang YS, Oh JJ. 2017. Projection of future hot weather events and potential population exposure to this in South Korea. Climate Research 72:29-38.
15. Silva CF, Sartorelli ES, Castilho ACS, Satrapa RA, Puelker RZ, Razza EM, Ticianelli JS, Eduardo HP, Loureiro B, Barros CM. 2013. Effects of heat stress on development, quality and survival of Bos indicus and Bos taurus embryos produced in vitro. Theriogenology 79:351-357.
16. Wang JZ, Sui HS, Miao DQ, Liu N, Zhou P, Ge L, Tan JH. 2009. Effects of heat stress during in vitro maturation on cytoplasmic versus nuclear components of mouse oocytes. Reproduction 137:181-189.
Journal Title : Korean Journal of Agricultural Science